Stream Monkey offers a choice between two different methods of live streaming. They each have their own benefits and drawbacks, and one is probably more suited for your needs than the other.
Straight to the CDN
This method of streaming is included in every plan Stream Monkey has. When you’re streaming straight to our CDN, you will set up your encoder to go to Akamai (our Content Delivery Network). We will then give you all of the embed codes you need for it to go directly to your website, app, or set top box channel. Here are a few quick facts about this type of live streaming:
- There is no limit to how many hours you can stream.
- There is no limit to how many different streams you can create (each stream has a different embed code).
- You must send your own multiple bitrates (MBR).
- We cannot stream to other sites, such as Facebook Live, or YouTube.
Overall, this type of streaming is the best for people who need to stream lots of hours, and to lots of different embed codes.
Using our Live Transcoding Service
When you’re streaming to one of our transcoder streams, you will set up your encoder to go to our transcoding service first, before it goes on to the CDN. Our transcoder can offer all kinds of extra services in that one small pit stop.
- You will send one high quality stream, and the transcoder will create all of your lower bitrates for you (for those viewers who might not have killer internet, it will move to a slightly lower quality, rather than buffer).
- We can create extra outputs for you that will send to Facebook Live, YouTube Live, and other custom rtmp streams.
- We will record everything that you stream to your account, for later use.
- You must be on a Pro+ or Premium plan to use this service.
- You will need to keep your streaming under 25 hours per month, in 720p. There are options for streaming in 1080, and for more hours, for an additional cost.
- Only one transcoder stream is included with your plan. You are welcome to add more for an extra fee.
This plan is best suited for those users who would like to stream to the same embed code week to week, and who do not keep their stream going for lots of hours. Also, it’s great for users who want to keep copies of their streams, send to multiple social media platforms, and minimize the strain on their equipment and bandwidth.
If you’d like to add transcoding to your stream, or even just give it a test run, we’d be happy to help you out. Reach out to a member of our team, and we’ll be sure to hook you up.